Completely autotrophic nitrogen removal over nitrite in one single reactor

A. Olav Sliekers, N. Derwort, J. L.Campos Gomez, M. Strous, J. G. Kuenen, M. S.M. Jetten

Producción científica: Contribución a una revistaArtículorevisión exhaustiva

594 Citas (Scopus)


The microbiology and the feasibility of a new, single-stage, reactor for completely autotrophic ammonia removal were investigated. The reactor was started anoxically after inoculation with biomass from a reactor performing anaerobic ammonia oxidation (Anammox). Subsequently, oxygen was supplied to the reactor and a nitrifying population developed. Oxygen was kept as the limiting factor. The development of a nitrifying population was monitored by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization and off-line activity measurements. These methods also showed that during steady state, anaerobic ammonium-oxidizing bacteria remained present and active. In the reactor, no aerobic nitrite-oxidizers were detected. The denitrifying potential of the biomass was below the detection limit. Ammonia was mainly converted to N2 (85%) and the remainder (15%) was recovered as NO3-. N2O production was negligible (less than 0.1%). Addition of an external carbon source was not needed to realize the autotrophic denitrification to N2.

Idioma originalInglés
Páginas (desde-hasta)2475-2482
Número de páginas8
PublicaciónWater Research
EstadoPublicada - 2002
Publicado de forma externa


Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'Completely autotrophic nitrogen removal over nitrite in one single reactor'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto